Sunday, April 08, 2012

Wicked.

Having "musical hangover" right now, a term I coined myself to describe what it feels like after you've been to see a musical. The last one I went to was 'The Phantom of the Opera' almost two years ago, and I loved it, so last week we decided to book tickets for a showing of 'Wicked' today, 'cause it only shows in Singapore until the 22nd of April.

Went with Kelvin and Wee Thean, so obviously did not have lunch in the hostel. Ate at Olive Garden, where the portions were quite price-worthy and tasted quite good, but we were in a hurry so gulped everything down. Thankfully weren't late for the musical (because we thought we were going to get lost, but weighed the costs and took a cab instead. A four dollar taxi fee is nothing compared to the $49 we waste each if we had to wait until the interval to get inside the theatre).

So oh my goodness, I loved it. There's something magical about theatre, you know, that simply pulls you in as it goes and you become so absorbed in the beauty of both the music and the stage. I only knew two 'Wicked' songs prior to this, because they covered 'Defying Gravity' in Glee and Sam Tsui and Nick Pitera did an amazing cover of 'For Good'. Had total chills when Elphaba started hitting all the notes in 'Defying Gravity' while sort of yelling at the guards. Best.

And the humour, oh the humour. It was good humour. It was also kinda sad 'cause it took half a second longer for everyone else in the audience to decide the jokes were funny. Probably because of the language barrier.

Hah, 'Wicked' was funny, touching, lovely and totally awesome. Also earned a new water bottle because they were giving out free bottles as Easter gifts. Lost a ticket (whoops) so Wee Thean let us have the other two (so nice of him), but then Kelvin left his when we went for dinner afterwards, so I'm the only one who still has mine.

Now I have 'What is this Feeling?' stuck in my head because I find the line 'loathing, unadulterated loathing' extremely catchy.

I don't think I can ever re-read 'The Wizard of Oz' (which I read so many years ago I don't remember much at all) without thinking to myself, "Why Dorothy, she knows nothing".


Throughout the long weekend, I've managed to complete my slides for my current affairs presentation tomorrow, send out my part of our Mol Gen prac report, figure chords out for all the songs I'm playing next week (now all I have to do is memorise them), watch 'War Horse' online, and start watching 'The Voice' (the first season).

War Horse was brilliant, and I have to say I totally teared near the end. Mum, if you're reading this, go and buy the DVD or something, and watch it. Lovely cast, too, and Steven Spielberg did an amazing job. It's one thing to direct a good movie, and it's another to direct a movie about the World Wars (in this case WWI).

And the horses. The horses can act. So pleasantly surprised, and it made everything so much more believable. It's scary. They understand. Why don't animals get Oscars? It's unfair.


'The Voice' is great, too, because Adam Levine. And also because it really does showcase singing talent and I love discovering new songs and hearing all the lovely voices. Coaches bickering is also the funniest thing.


Okay, going off now. Week starts tomorrow.



P.S. I like to believe that this is what went through Shang's mind throughout the course of 'Mulan'.

No comments: