Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fire fiasco.

Hello there, dropping by after an age to do a movie review, a book review, talk about me going out with friends (once, because I'm anti-social and lonely that way) and then a story about a fire.

Saw Madagascar 3 with my mum and brother, and I have to say I spent half the duration of the movie laughing. You really have to let go of everything, and let fly all logic and laws of physics. Loved and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the sort of movie that can make your day, with its antics and colours and crazy woman.

So the entire storyline is that the Madagascar animals try to make their back to their zoo, make friends and inspire other people (animals, actually), then realise their zoo sucks and that real life is better. No surprises there. But very funnily presented, yes.

The penguins are the best.


'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' is probably one of Seth Grahame-Smith's most well-researched works yet (I've moved on from the movie part and onto the book part, just in case you haven't noticed). The use of (fictitious) journal excerpts integrated into third-person narrated text was ridiculously effectively done, and I've always liked his casual way of writing about blood and gore and death and dying. I mean yeah some parts were slightly more disturbing than I'd have liked, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. The pictures creeped me out though, but that was probably 'cause I was reading in the middle of the night.

But very nicely done. Applause.


Read 'Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon' before that (and re-read the original Bartimaeus Trilogy before that, but altogether they're called the 'Bartimaeus Sequence now), and I can say the only things in common between that and 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' are the politics and the footnotes, but both are funny and brilliant in their own ways. Jonathan Stroud definitely knows how to deliver sarcasm and arrogance. Everyone should read these books.


Went out with Manda and Shar on Monday to watch The Avengers ('cause Shar hadn't seen it yet). Third time, and I have to say it was still exciting and awesome to watch. Caught a few of the references I missed (like the shawarma joint Tony landed in front of, and two ravens who we speculate are Huginn and Muninn flying past when Thor and Loki were having their argument).

Then met up with Jan and had super late lunch. Nice catching up with old friends.



And today there was this huge bushfire thing (well it was a fire, burning up a patch of tall grass) right across from my house. Scary stuff. Thank goodness we didn't fall prey to the bystander syndrome and managed to call a fire brigade and stuff. All the neighbours were in a fluster, the men of the houses stood around talking and looking manly with their little garden hoses, trying to control the fire before the fire brigade came.

Interesting, but I hope it never happens again.


Adieu.


P.S. Only humans and penguins can drive.

No comments: