Thursday, February 14, 2008

Three more tests to go...

I'm afraid... Very afraid.... of failing my BM.

On with the brighter aspects of life. I think it was worth it skipping American Idol last night to do some last minute Math. About the test, let's just say I'm not afraid of facing 'cher Yati's stern "kalau kamu fail, awas ah" threat. 'Cause I think I won't.

I wish I had pictures of today's school CNY celebration. But since I didn't bring my camera, I'd have to let you guys in on it the old-fashioned way. Unless, of course, you were there yourself, but not from my perspective.......I think.


"To all students, please do not sit on the second and third floors. Only the first floor is allowed."
Maz and I made jokes on how we could all sit on the roof or stand on the second and third floors (not sit, right?) as we made our way down to the canteen area with the gang, which was already half-full. Well, we were late, so I wasn't blaming anyone. We chose to sit on the driest bench available, with a side view of the stage and behind lots and lots of other people. It wasn't an advantage that our roof leaked whenever it rained. 

Maz passed me a bag containing burgers. I politely declined. Wani, on the other hand, was munching away enthusiastically on hers. A sudden screeching of a microphone told us the show had started.

Our MCs started off by greeting the audience, as usual. Too bad we couldn't hear a thing. To me, it sounded like, "Goodddd... m-----nggggggggg......--ttttte-cccchhhrssssss.......n-allllllll..........st----nts....." 
Too much echo. Terrible sound quality. I couldn't decide what the problem was, so I settled for "problematic microphones and overall sound system".

A traditional Chinese dance was the first performance (typical one with fans and ribbons). I had a feeling all my classmates recognised this song; it was the song we heard from outside the lab while we hung little bags of soil wrapped in muslin (which looked an awful lot like tea bags...) in test tubes of carbon indicator yesterday. I turned to Maz (most convenient; she was sitting right next to me) and gave her a "okay, what was that about?" look when the music burst out loudly and then faded away like the final breath of a dying person. The dancers had to start again, and got through it this time. We clapped.

"Whale exhibition on the roof," Maz told me when the speakers started emitting sounds similar to those of whales. "Karang cikgu Haiseh atu ke rooftop bah. 'Camana tu?"
After the poor singer whose voice I could hear but couldn't make out what she was singing left the stage, it was the teachers' turn to sing.

It was....entertaining. I saw Nadia's mum, the only Chinese teacher in tudung. Maz recgonised her teacher in the crowd. She threw her burger at him, yelling, "''Cher! You rock!!!" He then span around wildly, trying to spot who threw a half-eaten piece of junk food at him. But to no avail. Maz was too good for him. He then proceeded to wipe tomato sauce stains off his shirt and sing a CNY song at the same time.
All right, so I lied. She wanted to, but she'd already eaten her burger, and it wouldn't have been a good idea anyway. So...yeah.

It was fun to see teachers sing and do stuff like that. It reminds me that teachers are humans too, and get embarrassed of the same things we do. Like being forced to sing on stage. XD

Then the rest of the time was filled up with a traditional musical instrument performance by Melissa and Olivia (I just happen to know their names) and a lion dance. 'Twas cool.
The lion dance. The screaming of schoolgirls broke me from my concentration. Concentration of resisting the temptation to throw stuff at the guys behind me on the first floor and tell them to shut the hell up.
Even Cikgu Haiseh touched the lion (no, not that way, if that's what you're thinking here) and smiled.
After the four lions made an exit, the teachers were treated to lunch. I exhaled deeply. We students have stomachs too, you know. Actually, I was just kidding. It would take an awful lot of money to feed us all. And besides, the organisers (the Chinese teachers) had done a good job in putting together an hour-long performance in the span of two weeks and paying for the lion dance already.
Since they knew chaos would ensue if we were left alone without teacher supervision, the teachers assigned the MCs to quiz us on Chinese New Year and give out angpaus to the right-answerers.

The rest of us got sweets. 

Thanks for all the effort put in for us to celebrate CNY at school. Even if it wasn't as good (lion dance was siuk though).
Thanks.

No comments: