Wednesday, May 02, 2012

The Avengers.

Before I start this one, first I want to warn you that yes, there will be spoilers in this post, and yes, there will be quite a bit of fangirling, and yes, there will be nerding out too. So if you like any of that stuff go ahead and proceed.







Now read here.

Left for Vivo at six after exams ended (yeahey). Not as many as the Hunger Games bunch, but quite a big bunch all the same. Wai Yin, MJ, Nikki, Deborah, Jazlene, Nicole, Pin, Dion, Wee Thean, Kelvin, Adithya, KT, Kendrick, Hema, Joshua Sia and myself, then Adrian Peh and Chee Seng met up with us when we got there.

Split up for dinner. Went with KT, Kelvin, Wee Thean, Adithya and Kendrick to Carl's Jr, where Adrian ninja-ed his way over to meet us. Haven't eaten out non-guiltily in quite a while, 'cause when you go out to eat during exam week it's like you're wasting precious studying time.

Collected eighteen tickets, then oh my goodness oh my goodness we watched The Avengers.

I have been waiting for this movie for months.

All the hype, definitely no hyperbole. Honestly. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen, because I enjoyed every single second of it. There are some movies that are good, some movies that you could call funny, or enjoyable, or spectacular, but nothing really spells epic and badass for me than this one.

Sometimes there are realities you've always dreamed of, you know? Of superheroes and of villains and of heroism and of outstanding people. You read about them and you find yourself so immersed in those worlds, and when someone manages to bring it to life on the big screen for you, and does it well, well, there are really no words for these emotions. I only fangirl really badly about two things, and they are LotR, and the Marvel universe, because these are entire worlds I can totally lose myself in.


The Avengers movie was whelming. I read that in a review and I'll use it because it's accurate. It was whelming. Not overwhelming with CGI like the latest Transformers movie, and not underwhelming where the characters just stand around like empty shells in fancy costumes, but it was whelming.

Yes, yes it was.

I loved all the little things they slipped in (I'm going to watch it again so I can notice more of these things) and how they drop hints of the deep pasts they each have, and yet make it so that anyone can watch the movie and still be able to enjoy it.

I loved the little quips Tony Stark makes and I loved it when it shows so obviously that Stark is a weapons manufacturer and I loved all his little gadgets and his suit, oh his suit. Various versions of his suit, actually. Oh goodness. I'm a huge Iron Man fan, in case you haven't noticed. Just had to get that out there.

Everyone's relationship with everyone else was quite well played. Thor and Loki, Steve and Tony (oh God so canon), Natasha and Clint, Bruce Banner with everyone else.

Steve and Tony. Polar opposites. If I didn't like Pepper so much I'd ship more, but I do like Pepper and was glad she was in the movie too. Iron Man does need some anchoring, it's just that when it's at home or in the office it's Pepper Potts, and when it's with The Avengers it's Steve Rogers.

Not making sense right now.

Totally had chills all over throughout the movie. And there were funny moments too, which made it all the better.

Especially loved the bit at the end where they all got together, and when they looked to Captain America for instructions. That's the First Avenger, all right. That's him, right there. So fitting. So what if he can't fly, or summon lightning, or is out of date with technology? This man was the one who started the superhero business. He's the soldier and the commander and the one who people will fight to the death for because he literally overflows with niceness.

Mark Rufallo as the Hulk was a good decision. He's not just the guy who can turn green, you know? He's genius, and so full of self-doubt and self-loathing but has such a great heart inside.

Everyone else was well cast, too. Chris Hemsworth is Thor and Robert Downey Jr is Tony Stark (heck he doesn't even need to act; all he has to do is be himself), I don't see anybody else playing Loki but Tom Hiddleston, Chris Evans has that quiet, boyish look that only Captain America can have, yet have such a strong presence. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury was the badassness, Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson was a genius decision, and Scarlett Johansson looked so good kicking ass. Jeremy Renner didn't get as much character buildup as the others, which was sad, but maybe in the future. Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill didn't quite work for me though. Maybe because we see her too much as Robin Scherbatsky.

I think it just gets better now that they've all come together from their separate movies. You kind of associate the actor more with the character now.



Anyway, thank you, Joss Whedon. Awesome job.



I imagine it's going to be so much worse when we watch The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in December.




Loki. Just, Loki. Tom Hiddleston is amazing.

No comments: