Saturday, December 11, 2010

Milk.

I have just seen one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen in my life.

Yeah, I've been talking about watching 'Milk' lately, and so I have. And it was moving. So very, very, moving.

I feel an extremely deep sense of respect for Harvey Milk right now. It's like he envisioned a better place for everyone (and not just gays), and had the guts to do something about it, out of the closet and openly fighting against gay discrimination.

He died a legend and will remain a legend.

So inspiring.

And I think he's right. If every single homosexual person were to step out of the closet, there would have to be someone we know who's gay or lesbian, and that would make us see things differently, that being homosexual isn't a sickness (like many idiots out there still believe), nor that it makes one horribly perverse, but that some "perfectly ordinary" people can be homosexual too.

Equal rights and acceptance, that's what we're striving for.


Oh why is it so hard to accept people for who they are?

Hmm yeah, now that I come to think of it, I find it a bit hard to accept close-minded people who are racist, homophobic or treat others like crap and other unreasonable reasons to hate other people.

Okay, I need sleep now.

Arrivederci.


P.S. First day in two weeks without 'Anna Karenina' and I feel hopelessly lost. Need to get something else to read or I'll probably lose my mind.


1 comment:

Jerry Pritikin said...

I knew Harvey and was a pioneer, like him in the early S.F. gay rights movement. However, the movie was not always accurate... like the boy in the wheelchair calling from Minnesota,prior to the impromptu march after the Anita Bryant led vote in Dade County Florida, to rescind a gay rights ordinance. It was my photo that was the only wire story out of S.F. and it ran after the march, They showed Harvey talking on his bullhorn in front of the Castro Theater... never happened, and they show the march ending at City Hall, that too was wrong. It ended downtown in Union Square. There were several other time-line mistakes, and other events that did not happen,too. HOWEVER,BECAUSE OF THE MOVIE, MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, YOUNG AND OLD, GAY AND STRAIGHT, HERE IN AMERICA AND AROUND THE WORLD WERE INTRODUCED TO HARVEY, AND THAT ERA IN THE GAY RIGHTS MOVEMENT. I would like to recommend a great web-site that is dedicated to the evolution of a changing S.F. neighborhood, to America's gay Mecca. Unlike the movie... it is not a recreation, but images and stories by those of us who, with Milk, was part of the early gay rights movement.
www.thecastro.net/ and look for my pages there,too.