Sunday, March 18, 2012

Melbourne 2012.

Just finished unpacking (in like, five minutes because I have so few belongings) and now I'm here to tell you about our brief ten-day reprieve and about this weekend's race.

Flight on Saturday night back, then spent the rest of my week just hanging around with my family and eating and sleeping and trying to get work done (managed to almost finish Chem ass 3 and Mol Gen ass 2, and do up slides for this workshop for Robo we have to do).

Also feeling healthier, 'cause I have this bet with Kelvin and Wai Yin that I'd run every day I was back in Brunei (I missed two days, actually, and went swimming one day, so I think I lose). But even though I probably owe them dinner now I feel quite okay with it, 'cause it's fun to feel buffer than before.

It's funny how a lot of people think I can't swim, or don't associate me with swimming. Yes, in fact I can swim, meaning I won't drown if you dump me in a pool. I'm in fact much better at swimming than I am at running. Don't let that surprise you too much.


Was able to watch both qualifying and today's grand prix on television, which was awesome for me because I'm deprived that way. Goodness, I love seeing them on the screen, and hearing the engines sound.

It's going to be an amazing season, 'cause many of the teams seem really close in terms of pace, and the drivers are all for it, too. Grosjean was a total surprise in qualifying yesterday when he managed a third place in his Lotus, and it was so disappointing when he had to retire like two laps in. Was disappointed for Schumi too, 'cause he was doing so well before retiring (whoa double meaning).

Massa DNF-ed too, and I worry about him. It really sucks that his performance isn't up to par with Alonso (but Alonso is like one of the best drivers on track) or for a Ferrari driver. I really like the guy, and it saddens me. He must feel terrible.

Hamilton started on pole, but thankfully got overtaken by Button in the first corner, who went on to win the race. Yay for Button.

Vettel finished second, and Hamilton ended up third. Webber a home best in fourth, and Alonso managed an awesome fifth after starting 12th and having to wrestle with a slower car (oh Ferrari).

And Kimi is back, oh my goodness our dear Kimi is back. Went up eleven places and finished seventh after a really crazy last lap where Maldonado dropped out and there was a tonne of (and attempted) overtaking. Good racing. If his qualifying wasn't botched up he would've done so much better. But good going for his first race after two years. We've missed him so much.

It's going to be tight, but I'm really hoping Ferrari will pull through. My loyalties still lie with them, and Alonso and Massa, but I'm definitely rooting for Kimi too, this season.


Okay, going off now.

Night.


P.S. This Kimi appearance on Top Gear totally reminded me how much I used to adore him both as a person and as a race car driver.

P.P.S. And the best part about today's race was Kimi yelling "Why do I get blue flags all the time?" into his team radio and getting "They are not for you, Kimi" in reply. He still has stuff to re-remember about F1.

No comments: