Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Devil's Arithmetic.

Ten minutes before lights out, and I'm still in the pantry tapping on my newfound love, 'Pantry wi-fi'. I love pantry wi-fi.

Arrived around two hours ago, managed to get a taxi and stuff and make it back in time to iron my uniform for tomorrow and unpack and stuff.

Haven't posted in such a while because I've been quite occupied with not doing anything except reading Ultimate Spiderman and watching trailers of movies I would love to watch and watching Sherlock and other television shows that are probably a complete waste of my time.

Chinese New Year this year has been amazing, because I didn't fall miserably sick (unlike last year) and because there were hardly any awkward questions asked this year. Wish I could've had a chance to write about it in greater detail, but I didn't have time to write about my past week as each day passed, so details are a bit blur.

Flight back on Friday after school CNY celebrations, which meant only an hour and a half of English (the module which I'm going to be failing this year) that day followed by celebrations and slacking and stuff.

Reached home late, slept, woke up, went on errands (collecting CNY cakes and biscuits and then delivering them as gifts to relatives and things like that), came back, watched an episode of Sherlock with my mum and brother, slept, woke up, went on more errands, had awesome CNY eve dinner (really, really awesome because my grandmother is an amazing cook), slept, and then open house-d and CNY commenced for real.

I love CNY because it gives us all a reason to come together and eat and have fun and visit each other and tell jokes and laugh loudly without a care in the world. Beautiful concept.

And I did not go hungry at all.


Also managed to cram in some reading. 'The Devil's Arithmetic' by Jane Yolen. Honestly really moving. You read about all these things that happened during the wars (and I've read only a handful of these books and seen a handful of these movies) but you'll never be able to imagine the sheer horror of having to live in those times. So what do we do? Do we remember and admire the painful times the older generations have had to endure, or do we cast aside and forget all the terribleness? I think it's better to keep in mind horrors of the past, because things that happen deserve to be remembered, because they cannot afford to happen again.


Okay, long post, need to shower now.

Night.


P.S. Brunei's population is so small, almost everybody knows everybody else second degree. It's crazy.



No comments: