Saturday, January 14, 2012

Diagnostic criteria for internet addiction.

Found this on BBC news, browsing around for some bits of strange news.

Do you feel preoccupied with the internet?
Yes, yes I do. Always, constantly, the Internet is the very essence of my soul.

Do you feel the need to use the internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
Yes, but sometimes no. When I can sneak a glance at Twitter, I do, but sometimes when I stop using the Internet I don't for many days, like a hermit escaping the world.

Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop internet use?
Yes.

Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop internet use?
Yes, but only when dealing with hostel Internet limitations. When I'm at home, I'm completely fine.

Do you stay online longer than intended?
Definitely yes.

Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?
Thankfully no, not yet.

Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the internet?
Also no, not yet.

Do you use the internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?
Sometimes, but then again it makes me even more depressed when I read news about terrible people doing terrible things.


Participants answering yes to questions 1 to 5 and at least one more answer were classed as suffering from Internet Addiction Disorder.

Source: Young's Diagnostic Questionnaire for Internet Addiction adapted by Beard and Wolf.


In short, I am an addict.

Like, please, first thing I did when I found out about Internet addiction was to post it on my blog, Tweet about it, and then almost post about it on Facebook. Help.

No comments: