Saturday, January 28, 2012

Looking For Alaska.

Updating my blog link list, because a lot of people have stopped blogging or created new links since I linked them. Tsk, inconsistencies.

Or perhaps it's me. Haven't changed my URL since I started, which was back in November '07. That's crazy, isn't it? I don't see myself blogging ten years into the future, about getting a job or what my kids are like, but I don't see a reason for me to stop, either. Maybe the hype will just gradually die down, and I'll no longer find talking about each and every day useful, either.

But I like it as it is now, because I can't stand when days go by unappreciated and unreflected upon.

So like, woke up quite late today. Past noon. Just kept waking up and then realising my ass was still too heavy to be hauled out of bed.

Hung around the Internet a while afterwards, then started on 'Looking For Alaska' by John Green, because Jon Koo and Leyi told me to read it (so Leyi emailed me the PDF). Honestly, I hadn't finished a book (of significant length) in one sitting in almost a forever. Didn't even get up to pee or anything like that. I just sat there and stared at my laptop screen for four and a half hours. So engrossing.

When I started, I honestly thought Miles Halter was female. I mean, what dude is this chatty from a first person perspective? But then it was so good. Oh yes, so good. If I had read from a physical copy of the book, I'd say it was unputdownable, but I didn't really have to hold anything, so I can't say that. Couldn't stop scrolling and couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen, definitely. It started off fast and ended fast and there was never a boring lull where the author describes some fancy scenery or many feelings in a terribly longwinded and repetitive manner. Every part keeps you wanting more.

And it was such a sad book, too. I like these books because they make you think. And 'Looking For Alaska' made me think. About finding my "Great Perhaps", too. Or am I already there? On my way to a less boring life? It feels so real, because I left home for school too. No smoking or alcohol though, and without reckless prank-pulling, but daring enough for me.

It was also about forgiving and forgetting and what happens to memories when people die and how to deal with feeling them slip away. Deep. So deep. And good. So good.

And that's pretty much all I did today. Read a book online, blog, look up random things, and avoid schoolwork.

Go me.

Good night.

No comments: