Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What is poetry?

If I had to enter that Poetry Competition... (which I'm not).


Roses are red,
Violets are blue;
What's the colour of confusion?
I haven't a clue.

What is poetry?
Is writing an art?
Pouring out your soul,
Straight from your heart?

Is poetry emo?
I really don't know.
You can write about anything, really.
From pink rabid monkeys,
To your grand-auntie Flo.

What is poetry?
Do poems have to rhyme?
I can't imagine thinking so much,
To write line after line.

Many people ask,
"Is poetry gay?"
Like William Shakespeare,
I think they swing both ways.

Maybe it is,
But what does it matter?
Gay or straight,
Maybe it's the latter.

Most poetry is serious,
Do they have to be?
I like fun poems,
They're what count, for me.

From C.S. Lewis,
To Edgar Allen Poe,
Give poetry a shot,
You never know.

A four-leaved clover
Symbolises good luck;
My life may be over,
If I get hit by a truck.

Roses are red, 
Violets are blue;
Just for reading this, 
I want to thank you.

No comments: