Monday, August 29, 2011

Onset.

Been an idle day today. Brilliantly rainy weather in the morning meant sleeping in, and when I finally did wake up to have lunch with Woan Chyi, I spent the following afternoon watching House and getting better acquainted with charcoal.

The only kind of charcoal I've got are the soft pastel kind, and it's really messy to use because it smudges really easily. But overall I think this sketch of Nightcrawler turned out quite all right, even though I was afraid of killing his hair and face and ended up drawing a hood to cover up instead. Was ready to scrap it, too, just in case I smudged it really badly.


It's not perfect, but I love Nightcrawler. I also love how completely black the black of charcoal can get. It's so brilliant.

Went out afterwards to Auntie Mal's place, because tomorrow's Raya and we like to celebrate things like that.

It's interesting that when they're sembahyang-ing (praying) and stuff, it doesn't bore me to just sit there and listen. When you have no idea what they're saying, it becomes super mysterious yet awesome-sounding. And because we've sort of grown up listening to this stuff, it becomes familiar and kinda reassuring.

Felt kinda bad for the others, because they're starting Raya away from their families, which is sad and makes them homesick. Poor things. It really blows to be away from home when the rest of your family is spending time together doing something you should be there to participate in as well. It's like a huge chunk of you has been ripped out and is floating about in oblivion, waiting for the embrace of the comfort of home. You sort of feel empty, and it's a really shitty feeling.

So yeah.

Going home in a few days though, so we shouldn't feel so bad.


Night.

No comments: