Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The Hobbit.

I think I might have a slight obsession with Susan Boyle.

My mum's considering getting her new album, 'I Dreamed A Dream'. She believes Susan Boyle is an amazing singer. I have to agree.

Listening to her version of "I Dreamed A Dream" on YouTube now.

Heck, and to think talent like that was hidden for decades.

Makes you wonder how many other extremely talented people are out there undiscovered and how many of them will never be discovered at all. Sad.

Anyway, it seems like all I do nowadays is laze away at home. Heck.

Note to self: Stop being lazy or I keel you.

Started reading The Hobbit on Monday, 'cause I had to follow my mum to her office and she was afraid I'd be bored out of my mind, so I grabbed it off my shelves.

I think the last time I read that book was around four years ago, after PSR, before my second attempt at LotR, 'cause there is no way I'll ever let myself read it before The Hobbit.

My obsession with the Lord of the Rings probably started many, many years ago (yes, I am that old) when my dad handed me a copy of The Hobbit and told me it was a good book. He wasn't lying. It was epic. Probably more than my seven/eight-year old brain could handle.

I was a die-hard Harry Potter fan back then. I remember those days. I guess JK Rowling just disappointed me with her last few books. It was all money-making and no more genius storytelling.

That's probably why one of the main things that make reading enjoyable for me is consistency in writing, given that the writer doesn't improve over time.

But I digress.
Actually, when I read 'The Hobbit' back then, I didn't have any idea at all that it was connected to LotR. I just thought the story ended then and there and there was nothing more to it.
Ignorance sucks, man.

My dad only let me in on LotR (the book version) after we watched one of the movies (here my memory fails me, 'cause it was such a long, long time ago). What I do remember is that he dug out his super thick and yellowing copy of the entire trilogy from God-knows-where and handed it to me. I like to recall the scene with some dramatic background music like when Aragorn was being crowned King of Gondor by Elrond. Such a defining moment in life.

It's raining really heavily now, and I have to go and switch off the modem 'cause my mum doesn't like me leaving it on overnight 'cause it tends to overheat (have I ever mentioned the exploding modem incident?).

Adieu.

P.S. The Simpsons is back on Star World and I'm lovin' it. I've been so deprived.

No comments: