Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Staying Alive.

It's late, but I'm still waiting for the shower. I wonder why some people take such a long time to shower. I mean, what else is there to do? Shampoo, soap, scrub, rinse. Like, come on.

Finally uploaded the (long overdue) vlog, and here it is.

So had this "Aesthetic Appreciation" trip today to the Chinese Opera Institute, where we had only an hour to learn stuff concerning the art of Chinese opera.

Personally, I thought we could've spent more time there, and it would've been way, way, awesomer if they'd actually organised for us to watch a performance instead of plunge right into singing and techniques and stuff. Some people (like the Indians and the Vietnamese) have absolutely no idea what Chinese opera is, and end up even more confused by the end of the programme.

Ah, confusing stuff.

But yeah, heritage. Should I feel ashamed that I understand minimal Mandarin and I don't bother learning anymore because people think I talk funny?

All kinds of art should be appreciated, yes. I love the amount of effort and time these people put into their performances, and how they take pride in their art. It's awesome.

Sure, some people might say we should move onto the future and not cling desperately to the past, but these things have been passed on for generations, and provide a deep, meaningful link between our ancestors and ourselves. Should we really let it go just like that? I don't want it to be that way.


Went out to watch POTC4 again (at Vivo, again), with Wei Ren, Wai Yin and MJ. Well yeah, I enjoyed it last time, and it was tempting, and they sort of half-dragged me, so I guess it was worth watching a second time. Oh, and for Johnny Depp, too.

Watching movies a second time allows you to pay more attention to detail, 'cause you already know what's going to happen. Makes you appreciate the work they put in more.


Then met up with Bruneians and ate at Seoul Garden Hot Pot to sort of celebrate Syaf's birthday. And then we went back, did crazy things and had cake.


Career Day tomorrow, so should be attending talks and like, stuff.

Going off now.

Night.


P.S. Grades leaked for a moment this morning, sparking a frantic whipping out of iPhones, iPod Touchs, iPads, smartphones, and other electronic devices that can access the Internet. It's funny how I try not to care but still do, anyway.


No comments: