Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Experience.

Listening to U2 now, because Ms Dass told me I have good taste when I yelled "Bono is a god" during English today.

I don't understand why some people think it's uncool to listen to "old songs" and be "out of date" with new ones. Well, to be honest with you (I'm always honest, so that was kind of redundant), I think it is, in fact, so much cooler to know what quality in music is. New ones? The ones that all sound the same and are written with minimal talent and filled in with mindless, computer-generated beats? Why would I want to listen to such complete sh*t when I know where the quality lies?

Anyway, I think U2 is amazing. I didn't grow up all music-less, and then having to discover it all on my own through the influence of also inexperienced peers. Thank goodness I didn't become some screaming Justin Bieber fangirl or an extreme lover of empty mainstream pop. Good Lord.

Like how my parents totally influenced my taste in music, I think I'll make sure my kids don't listen to sh*t, too. I think succeeding as a parent, for me, is to have my kids love the music I love, and to have my kids love reading as much as I do. I want them to be able to thoroughly enjoy listening to the songs I used to listen to, and curl up with a good book on a rainy day and simply become absorbed in whole new worlds. I want them to be able to think and know and not be shallow and see good things in everyone and everything. I want them to be loveable and intelligent and kind and happy. I want them to not be materialistic and find joy in the simple things in life. I want them to love the world and what it has to offer.

For that, I love my parents for making me who I am. They used to read to me all the time as a kid, and when I could do it on my own, they bought me all the books I wanted. They exposed me to beautiful music, and when I wanted to play the guitar, they sent me for lessons. They supported me and loved me and didn't tell me I was a complete idiot even when I look back and realise I totally was.

One thing I'm afraid of is failing as a parent (because I will totally have kids. Even if I never get married, I'll adopt, or something). But that's a long time from now.


Bruneian exchange students arrived yesterday, and it was pretty weird, since it was like a piece of home suddenly decided to visit. Like, whoa. It also made it kinda hard to start conversations, since we totally knew what their country's like, and stuff.

But they're nice.

Went to Bugis after fetching them from the airport (skipped half of Mol Gen) and some ice-breaking. Watched people shop, then had dinner.

Then went to Science Centre today, followed by the National Museum of Singapore, followed by dinner at Sakura. The Bruneian exchange students made friends with the French exchange students ('cause the exchange groups overlapped), which was great for everyone 'cause then we had more things to talk about. Cultural exchange bonus.


Watched this documentary called 'Born To Be Wild' at Science Centre. It was so sweet. Goodness. So simple yet so touching. I love how individuals can have such a significant impact on the world. It's beautiful. And then there are people like me who just like, sit there all useless waiting to grow old and die still useless. Terrible. Need to do something with my life.


Okay, tired. Need to do things.

Night.


P.S. Baby orangutans have the sweetest eyes.

P.P.S. Parting scenes remind me of this scene from this movie I used to watch when I was little.

P.P.P.S. Mr Ku is awesome. He was like, "If you sing me a love song I'll let you off," so we sang "I Love You, You Love Me" and he let us off half an hour early. So awesome.

No comments: