Friday, February 10, 2012

Philanthropy.

Currently playing this game online, not because I'm slacking or putting of much-needed schoolwork, but because I want to kill two birds with one stone (not literally, of course).

Freerice.com has been around for years. I remember playing it even before I came here, and there was this huge hype about it because the site (set up by the United Nations World Food Programme) donates ten grains of rice for every answer you answer correctly. So yes, while you get to learn things, you also help combat world hunger in your own little way.

Yeah, English today really got to me. Talked about poverty, and it was painful. Goodness, we are all committing the sin of omission. It's like the bystander effect, where witnesses of an incident all think someone else is going to get help or do something, so they just stand by to watch. We are not very proactive people, are we?

But the sin of omission is scarier. We think it's none of our business, so we just go about our own lives thinking of nothing much but ourselves. We think all this other stuff, all these crises and these issues can resolve themselves, or should be left up to "those guys up there". Yeah, we probably wouldn't be able to match the power, wealth and influence of some major organisation, so we just do nothing.

I want to stop doing nothing. Let's all stop doing nothing. I mean, we're not poor people. You who reads this post are not so terribly poor. We are rich because we are born fortunate. We are fed, clothed and educated and loved and cared for. But what if? What if?

I hate me sometimes.



Okay, besides that, Math was good, CCA was great. Talked too much but I don't think I was that boring today. Continuing next week.


Good night.



P.S. I've just realised that school internet connection makes http://www.freerice.com/ completely ineffective 'cause it blocks the ads that pay for the rice we earn.

P.P.S. Where on earth do lost socks go?


No comments: