Thursday, February 09, 2012

Negligence.

Listening to some Oasis right now, thinking about the past. When I used to sit in the study blasting songs from my iPod on speakers and mindlessly surf the net while not having to worry so much about the amount of work that is due, because work then was easy and didn't need much thinking and school didn't need that much studying for. Those were the days.

Now I sit here in my room with headphones on, listening to the same songs I did, still mindlessly surfing the net, but worrying so much more about work and things. But hey, it's a Friday tomorrow, and I like Fridays, because there's only Math and English to worry about, and because there's CCA and I absolutely adore CCA sessions.

Was watching trailers and planning for tomorrow's session (going to attempt a semi-workshop thing for the newcomers, which I hope will turn out awesome), then Nikki called and asked me to check my mail. And then I sort of exploded (well not literally, but somewhat).

I will never, ever disregard Mr Valles' emails ever again. I checked my mail after I got back from school, and simply skimmed through all the emails and missed out an important thing. Garth Nix is giving a talk in my school. In. My. School. Garth. Nix. Garth freaking Nix.

Oh my God.

Limited places and first come first serve, but oh God I really really need to meet him in person. He wrote the Abhorsen trilogy, just in case you didn't know, along with a few other series I've been wanting to read but never got 'round to. Oh goodness. This is amazing. All those people who write the books you love seem so far off, but the prospect of meeting Garth Nix kind of blew my mind.

I think authors of good books are amazing people. Because they keep inside of them worlds so different, and stories so detailed they seem true. And that they're able to put all these ideas, these characters and entire universes on paper and make us believe in them is just incredible.

Please oh please oh please it would be so awesome if we could meet him (worse comes to worst we'll just hang outside the Media Resource room creepily when he's delivering the lecture).


Chem today was okay. Will be quizzed next Thursday (so doomed), and assignment due Monday. Beautiful.

Physio was fun. Nodded off a bit during the first quarter of the lesson, but then things got a bit better when Mr Seoh started giving out sweets (yeah I'm cheap). But I sit in a corner now so nobody really notices me (which is good because I can nod off in peace). Also was introduced to this ridiculously lame song about neurons, written to the tune of 'I Believe I Can Fly'. Oh goodness, how could they have come up with something like that?

But I don't care what they say about the tedium and the having to know many things. I like Bio.


I like Physics, too, which is pretty crazy since I'm probably going to be the first person in the history of the school to flunk circuitry. Lab was supposed to be a short one this time, since we only had one circuit to connect and there were really few questions, but took up all the time because we're incapable and inexperienced like that. And to think we'd have picked up some things during the previous two practical sessions. Oh well.

But there's something immensely satisfying about having successfully connected a circuit and obtaining all the correct values. It's beautiful, even. It's a beautiful moment when the numbers stop flashing (or fail to show up) and give you something good. It's like what Dr Frankenstein must have felt when his monster came to life.

Anyway, have an in-class assignment and a practice lab next week, which means we get to fail twice (hooray). And in addition to our Chem quiz, we get to fail three times. Brilliant.


Did 6 rounds during PE. Really, really slowly.


Okay, tired and going off now.


Night.


P.S. I am so grateful for the existence of weekends.

No comments: