Sunday, May 16, 2010

Monaco 2010

While the race stewards investigate Schumacher's overtaking of Alonso 'round the penultimate corner of the final lap of the race right after the safety car left, I might as well type out this post.

And yeah, pretty dramatic race today.

Safety car came out four times. Monaco is so narrow, one tiny overtaking mistake and you end up slamming into a wall. Kinda like Singapore, 'cept Singapore is worse.

Seriously speaking, it was way more entertaining than last week's race at De Catalunya. Sorta reminded me why I started watching in the first place. The awesomeness.
But as Stella likes to kindly remind me, I don't get to actually see the action happening, 'cause I'm stuck here televisionless with only the live timings and Twitter for company. So very sad.

Oh God, how my eyeballs crave for the cars and track, and how my ears crave for that sweet "nyeeeoowwh"-ing of the cars. Will thankfully be able to actually watch the race at Istanbul in two weeks.

I'm having trouble deciding where to start, 'cause there are loads of things to talk about this race. (Also, non-F1 watchers need to stop reading right about... now.)

Okay, I've decided. Here goes.

A huge congratulations to Webber and to Red Bull for winning the race and achieving a team one-two respectively. Stalin (that's what we call Stanley nowadays) must be crying tears of joy right now, 'cause he absolutely adores Webber (I kid you not).

Now Webber and Vettel are tied leaders of the Driver's C'ship and things are looking pretty dangerous for the other teams and drivers. If they don't do anything any sooner (I'm sure they're trying though), Red Bull are going to own their asses like Ferrari has owned F1 over the years. Scary.

I console myself by telling myself it's just momentary luck, but I doubt it.

Speaking of Ferrari, Alonso's done amazingly well this race. Must've been great strategy. The dude started from the pit lane (and effectively last), and ended up finishing seventh (should've been sixth, but Schumi pulled off some extremely experienced veteran ownage-ness on him on the last lap).

Holy crap news just in: Schumi overtaking of Alonso is ILLEGAL. (I simply love Twitter for this, don't you? Instant updates, man.)

Does this mean Alonso went up eighteen places? I'm not sure. 12/24 drivers failed to finish the race 'cause they either crashed out, had mechanical/engine failures, or some stupidly ridiculous fault by the engineers (like leaving a radiator bung in Button's McLaren 'causing his engine to overheat and blow up). Hmm.

And does this also mean Schumi gets penalised? Or just dropped down a position? I don't know. F1 rules are confusing (it doesn't help that they revise the rule book every year either).


Anyway, I think Force India will secretly come up from behind and win a race. They're doing quite well, actually. No accidents nor mistakes whatsoever. It's just that their car isn't fast enough.

Renault was surprising today though. Kubica managed a podium position after a second in qualifying (congratulations to him), and Petrov had to retire 'cause of car problems. Talk about contrast.


Concerning Lotus vs Virgin, Kovalainen retired and Trulli ended up flying over Chandhok's HRT, and Glock and Di Grassi's cars ended up GG-ing as well, so it's a draw this time 'round.


Hmm yeah, I think that's it. (I might have left a whole chunk of stuff out, but I'll talk about it some other F1 day.)


Night.



P.S. Went out with my dad today and got a book on Tourette's. Awesomeness.


No comments: