Monday, March 02, 2009

Eccentric composers and their 'fros.

If actually feels quite good to play songs written by the composers you study about in Music class. 

Enlightening, almost. It's like you finally know a little of the story behind the person behind the notes behind the song; it's not just a tune you play because your music teacher said so, it has become enriched in a way. 

I pulled out my old 'A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar 3' just now. I hadn't played the pieces in there for over a year, and it surprises me to realise that most of the pieces were taken from the famous (though dead/deceased, unfortunately) composers of the Classical, Romantic and sometimes late Baroque periods. 
I also surprise myself by being able to remember how to play the pieces after such a (sadly) long time. 


Today, I...

- endured a most awkward Biology presentation on fertility for an hour and half and then a Bio quiz which I didn't study for.

- wrote a most useless and irrelevant paragraph on 'my bedroom' during English and expressed my contempt for it by copying the exact same format as the "incorrect" example and changing it to suit my taste.

- came up with a most cruel and tragic story line with Aisyah during Malay and wondered if two of the characters in the story really were gay.

- rushed through my Chemistry tutorial and had to trouble Zhen Jie (thanks for the help) again with my billion questions. 

- struggled not to fall asleep during a documentary during Geography. It wasn't that it was boring (it was quite entertaining, honestly. Love the guy's accent), it was just that the atmosphere was so suitable for a nap. Dark, cool, guy's great accent droning away about the marvel of volcanic activity...

- sat through the Student Leader's Investiture trying to look as un-bored as possible. I think I failed. We couldn't really see much 'cause we sat at the back.

- spent Study Time laughing at things like eccentric composers' quotes (Wagner apparently told Liszt that the three greatest composers of their time was "Wagner, Liszt and Berlioz". Talk about self-esteem), Berlioz's 'fro and other things that I found amusing.

- realised that Romantic composers were each completely, utterly, awesome in their own way.

- blogged.


I finished Spirit Walker (by Michelle Paver, book two of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness) a few days ago. It was as great and addictive as the first one. Now people call me a nerd because I read a lot and care about handing in my work on time. 

I started on Fire Thief by Terry Deary (sounds familiar? He's the author of the Horrible History series). It's sarcastic, entertaining, and has footnotes like The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud which I happen to like immensely. 

I need to buy more books. The sad truth is, I won't settle for library books. 

I want to own them. Book collecting for the win.

No comments: