Saturday, July 23, 2011

DSA 2011

Getting used to Lion now, and man it's pretty neat. Interface is pretty sweet, and the new trackpad motions are slowly being adjusted to.

Although their automated spelling correction really annoys me. Turned it off because I like to be able to purposely misspell words and make them up when my vocabulary fails me. Gibble asdd lnme edd d mmm yeah? Yeah.

Couldn't feel chuffed about not having to go to school when Bruneians have school on Saturdays today, because I had to wake up earlier than usual schooldays and go to school and like, do things.

Yeah, our DSA camp was today, and we were all there to lend a helping hand. I love how so many of us were so eager to sign up and how we were okay with waking up early and dealing with nerdy little children (no offense, the nerdier the more they belong in our school).

Also, we get a free shirt. But the design's been the same since 2009, and I have that shirt in a hideous cyan-ish shade from Year 2, and now we had a light purple one that isn't less easy on the eyes. Well yes, the design is rather keepable, but they honestly need to pick better colours. It's like our senior management is colourblind. Not all colours go well with our school green, okay?


Manned the Bio station in lab 2 with Samantha, Ian Foo and Galen. Kinda panicked during the first round, so it was quite a bit of a mess when we sliced beetroot before we were supposed to and wasted some, and then the cleaning up after that was confusing, too. But after that we got all smooth and calm and organised and were pretty efficient, although the day simply drained us.

Primary school children who know they want to do Math and Science for the rest of their lives are sort of scary. These kids are like little nerdy people who are destined to grow into even larger nerds (sort of like us, really), and because many of them are so keen on entering our dear school of Math and Science (and because they're from Singaporean primary schools), the competition is freakishly fierce.

Like, if I were an eleven or twelve year old and had to carry out the experiments these kids were supposed to do today amongst all that scary competition, I'd have broken down and given up. But man these kids are smart. It's hard to decide whether they're just robots trained to give desired outputs when fed input, but some of them really do have the potential to become awesomely awesome in terms of intellectual capability.

Watching our DSA camp again just makes me wonder (yet again) how I managed to get into this school. How on earth did that happen? I mean, I left half the entry examination paper blank, and sat there shaking during my interview, and then told them I hadn't any interest in mathematics. It was a recipe for failure that backfired completely. Yeah, I was half-hoping I wouldn't get in, because I didn't want to leave home. So yes you have to give us foreigners credit for bravery, even though we aren't as smart as a lot of people here. We've got spunk.

But it's true, doubt does creep in on me sometimes, when I feel as if I'm just not cut out for it. This doubting happens less nowadays, but it's still there, and was today. I bet if I'd tried to get in through DSA I'd have failed miserably.

The kids were cute, though.

Oh, and we saw Lim Jeck's sister because she came to our lab, which was amusing because she sort of looks like him. Kept an eye out for Cyrus' brother, too, but didn't see him.


Then came back, slept, and then went out for dinner with Fatinn. Walked about Clementi Mall eating frozen yoghurt and talking about life. Where would we be without friends?

All right, going off now. Want to finish off 'Stardust', because it really has been way too long.

Night.


P.S. Talked to Stanley about F1 earlier today, and he's going to be so happy Webber's on pole again. The Ferraris are fourth and fifth respectively, but the other teams wouldn't count on that. Forza Ferrari.

No comments: