Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"Baby you're all that I want.." - Bryan Adams.

There's a new form of "gayism" in town. What, I hear you ask? 

My answer: Personality tests.

The notice said "personality test", but I find it more as a job assessment for the future. True, I haven't decided what profession to take up, but I believe we don't need to be told what we want to work as when we're old and qualified enough to get jobs. 
We don't need to be told who we are by other people who don't half a clue who you are. It's just that the government is stalking us, or just being really really nosy. (J/k)

I'm not bad-mouthing or anything similar, but it's a waste of paper, ink, and time. 

Now that I'm done with my ranting, I'd like to thank them too. We got to miss Geo. Yes!

Book sale at school today. I think whoever/whatever company it is that's selling, they want to get rid of books which don't sell well. I didn't bring my wallet anyway, so I didn't feel bad at all when I glanced at the selection displayed before me. 
This leads to another rant (or expression of opinion, if you prefer to look at it that way).

Ms Anne said we should all strive to becoming the "next J.K. Rowling of Malay". I wanted to argue with her, but decided to save my saliva for a better use, such as asking Syaz, "Who's Akmal?" I think it's- I mean, he's some guy she likes, but I dunno. She won't say, but instead got Steph to write, "L*heart*VE AKMAL" on her knuckles. Fatin's boyfriend's called Akmal too, and he's gay. Or bi. Seriously. Too much info there, I think.
Isn't life weird?

Back to the topic, we cannot be the next J.K. Rowling or Malay for the following reasons:-

1. Malay isn't a strong language. I assume that the number of English-speakers are at least 1000 times more than BM speakers.
2. That means it would be better to write a good story in English than Malay, 'cause that's how books became famous in the first place. They were read by the English-speaking community, which, as we know, is way bigger than the Malay-speaking one.
3. Hardly anyone would have a grasp of Malay good enough to read such a complicated book, if it were ever written, because the language grows weaker by generation.
4. Ms Anne said they could translate it to English. But translated books just aren't good enough.
5. Better yet, write good book in Chinese. It's the most widely spoken language in the world. 

I'm not saying Malay isn't important, because it is. Very. It's part of our culture. Without Malay, we can't even get scholarships or get into good schools. 
The thing is, business-wise, it won't do. 

Since today was kind of the last "school day" of the first school term of '08, I'll take it the holidays have sorta started. I'm back in Hulubalang, but I haven't signed up for anything. I', not good at running anyway, so I'll just sit and watch the Sports Selection. =)

Good luck.

No comments: