Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Tangent theta equals?

Hold it! Before I forget, Fazrul owes me a lollipop. Thank you.
Now on to my post.

The human ear. What a wonder. Without it, we humans would not be able to listen to our favourite thing of all time, music. Plus a lot of other things too, like people's voices, the hum of the air conditioner, your ring tone, voice commands, people yelling at you, people lecturing you, and et cetera et cetera.

This was our topic for Science today, of course. The teacher brought out this cool model of the human ear for us to see (and poke, which I did). Pretty simple stuff, sound.
Sound cannot travel through a vacuum. So why are vacuum cleaners so noisy? (Please ignore this. I just can't resist my stupid puns)

Some important guy came to visit school today. We (just me and my friends, of course) had no idea who it was though, but there was free food, displays of kites and congkak (I think this means it was a foreigner), traditional Malay music, and the like. The scouts, girl guides, Taekwondo and Kendo people were seen in their uniforms today, so it must've been pretty big as to go to the lengths of martial arts performances. 

Speaking of which, there's no training tonight, being the night before Awal Muharram. I was talking to Izzah this morning about her learning pattern six, and I attracted strange stares from people as we walked past, with me crossing my arms in front of my chest and bringing them slowly down while saying, "They call it the X-men pattern, you know, 'cause it goes like this, yeah? I don't remember how many numbers you had to count up to, but I think it's six..."

Yeah, I am pretty obsessed with that. Haha. Two of my TKD buddies are migrating to New Zealand some time this week? I don't know, but I sure will miss them.

Today we realised how much we missed our easy-going Mr Perry. Someone in my class had the sense to do their Maths while in English class, and Miss Anne got all annoyed. 
I'm not sure of the details, but she came to the front of the class and announced, "Stop. Everyone stop. This is why......*I wasn't really paying attention here. Too busy mouthing 'what?' to Syaz*.....It makes me so infuriated. You should stop prioritising your subjects. English is English and I do not want to see any Maths books or books of any other subject on the table during my class. In fact, I believe English is even more important that Maths; without knowing English you wouldn't even be able to understand the questions....blah de blah blah(please excuse me from being rude here, just too tedious to type the whole thing out from memory)..."

And so we ended the day with a story concerning how a boy called Johnny fell down a cliff and died. I had been waiting so long for them to have a story where somebody dies in their English textbooks, but then again it's a Singaporean one. But it was still way cool. I know I sound morbid, but I've always wanted to see them wake up and realise that everyone dies, even in textbook stories.

No comments: